History of Granola
Granola is a breakfast food that typically consists of rolled oats, nuts, honey, and sometimes dried fruit. It is often eaten with milk, yogurt, or fruit juice.
In the early 20th century, several companies began producing granola commercially, including the Kellogg Company, which still produces granola today. During the 1960s and 1970s, granola became popular among the counterculture movement and was often associated with a “hippie” lifestyle. Granola bars were also introduced during this time, making it easier for people to enjoy granola on-the-go.
Today, granola remains a popular breakfast food and snack, and it is available in a wide variety of flavors and styles, including gluten-free and organic options.
There are many granola brands available in the market. Here are some popular brands:
- Nature Valley.
- Bear Naked.
- Bob’s Red Mill.
- Purely Elizabeth.
- Cascadian Farm.
- 18 Rabbits.
- Trader Joe’s.
- Back to Nature.
- Health Warrior.
- Bakery on Main.
- Happy Belly.
Please note that availability of these brands may vary by region or country.
What is Granola made of
They are typically consists of a mixture of rolled oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and sometimes sweeteners and spices. The exact ingredients and proportions can vary depending on the recipe or brand.
The oats are usually the base ingredient and are mixed with a variety of nuts such as almonds, pecans, or walnuts, and seeds such as pumpkin or sunflower seeds. The mixture is then typically baked with a sweetener such as honey or maple syrup, and sometimes flavored with spices such as cinnamon or vanilla extract.
Dried fruits such as raisins, cranberries, or apricots are often added to the mixture after baking to provide sweetness and texture. Some variations of granola also include coconut flakes or chocolate chips.
Here’s a simple recipe for roasted nuts:
- 2 cups of mixed nuts (such as almonds, walnuts, cashews, and pecans)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Optional: spices such as cinnamon or chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a bowl, mix the nuts with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and any other spices you’d like to add.
- Spread the nuts out on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast the nuts in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until they are fragrant and golden brown.
- Remove the nuts from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy your delicious roasted nuts as a snack or add them to your favorite recipes for some extra crunch!