How to Cook Tasty Meal Using Marjoram
What is Marjoram?
Marjoram is a fragrant herb that is native to the Mediterranean region. It is a member of the mint family and has a sweet, slightly bitter flavor. The herb is commonly used in Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and North African cuisines to flavor a variety of dishes, such as stews, soups, meat dishes, and salads.
It is also used for medicinal purposes, such as to soothe digestive issues, relieve headaches, and promote relaxation. The essential oil extracted from marjoram is used in aromatherapy and can also be applied topically to alleviate muscle and joint pain.
This herb is often confused with oregano, which is also a member of the mint family and has a similar flavor profile. However, it has a milder, sweeter taste compared to oregano, which has a stronger, more pungent flavor.
How does it taste
It is sweet, slightly bitter, and pungent flavor, with hints of pine and citrus. Often described as having a delicate and floral taste that is similar to oregano but milder. It is commonly used in Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and North African cuisines to add flavor to meat dishes, stews, soups, and salads.
The herb is also a popular ingredient in spice blends, such as za’atar and herbes de Provence. Overall, it adds a warm and savory flavor to dishes, making it a versatile herb in the kitchen.
It is commonly used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. Here’s a simple recipe that you can try at home:
- Fresh marjoram leaves
- Olive oil
- Wash the leaves and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Remove the leaves from the stems and discard the stems.
- Chop the leaves finely.
- Place the chopped marjoram leaves in a bowl and add a pinch of salt.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the marjoram leaves and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Use the marjoram as a garnish for soups, stews, salads, and other dishes. You can also mix it with other herbs like thyme and rosemary for a flavorful herb blend.
Note: Marjoram has a delicate flavor, so be careful not to overpower it with too much salt or oil. Also, it’s best to use fresh herb for this recipe as dried marjoram can be quite strong.