Jomo Kenyatta International Airport Nairobi Kenya
- Airports in Kenya, Best places to visit in Kenya, Geography
- About, Contacts, Facilities, How to get there
Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) is the largest and busiest airport in Kenya, located in the capital city of Nairobi. It serves as the primary aviation gateway into Kenya, handling both domestic and international flights.
The airport was named after Jomo Kenyatta, the first president of Kenya, and was first opened in 1958. Since then, it has undergone several expansions and upgrades to accommodate the growing demand for air travel in the region.
JKIA has a total of two runways, with the longest being 4,900 meters long, and can handle large commercial aircraft such as the Airbus A380 and Boeing 747.
The airport has a capacity of handling over 7 million passengers annually and serves as a hub for Kenya Airways, the national carrier of Kenya.
Jomo Kenyatta international airport Facilities
Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) is the main international airport in Nairobi, Kenya. The airport has a range of facilities to accommodate travelers. Here are some of the facilities available at JKIA:
- Shops and Restaurants: There are several shops and restaurants available at JKIA, offering a variety of products and cuisines.
- Currency Exchange: There are currency exchange counters and ATMs available at the airport for travelers who need to change money or withdraw cash.
- Duty-Free Shopping: Passengers can enjoy duty-free shopping at the airport, offering a range of products including electronics, cosmetics, and souvenirs.
- VIP Lounge: There are VIP lounges available for passengers who wish to relax or work in a more private and quiet environment.
- Wi-Fi: Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the airport for passengers to use.
- Baggage Services: There are baggage storage facilities available at the airport, as well as baggage wrapping and lost and found services.
- Medical Services: There is a medical center available at the airport, staffed with trained medical personnel to provide emergency medical assistance if needed.
- Car Rental Services: Car rental services are available at the airport for passengers who wish to rent a car for their travels.
- Parking: There are several parking options available at the airport, including short-term and long-term parking.
How To Get There
To get to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA), you have several transportation options depending on your location in Nairobi and your budget:
- Taxi: You can take a taxi from any location in Nairobi to JKIA. Taxis are available from many taxi companies, and you can also hail a taxi on the street. The cost will depend on the distance you are traveling and the time of day, so it’s always best to negotiate the fare beforehand.
- Ride-sharing apps: Ride-sharing apps such as Uber and Bolt are available in Nairobi, and you can use them to get to JKIA. Just like with taxis, the cost will depend on the distance you are traveling and the time of day.
- Matatu: Matatus are minivans that are commonly used for public transportation in Nairobi. There are several matatus that go to JKIA, and you can find them at various bus terminals in the city. The fare is relatively cheap, but matatus can be overcrowded and uncomfortable, especially during rush hour.
- Bus: There are several bus companies that operate between Nairobi and JKIA, including Kenya Airways buses, Air Kenya buses, and others. The buses are comfortable and spacious, and the fares are affordable. You can book your ticket online or at the bus terminals.
- Private Car: You can also choose to hire a private car or use a personal vehicle to get to JKIA. However, this option can be quite expensive, especially if you are traveling a long distance.
Jomo Kenyatta international airport Contacts
- Airport Customer Care: +254 (0)20 822 111/2/3
- Airport Security: +254 (0)20 822 141/2
- Kenya Airports Authority: +254 (0)20 661 1000
- Airport Police Station: +254 (0)20 822 109
- Lost & Found: +254 (0)20 822 341/2
- Customs and Immigration: +254 (0)20 822 210
- Airport Clinic: +254 (0)20 822 374
- Airport Fire Brigade: +254 (0)20 822 155/6
You can also visit the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport website for more information and contact details: https://www.kaa.go.ke/airports/jomo-kenyatta-international-airport/