Obesity in Children
Obesity is a weight disorder whereby the health of an individual. Is so extreme to the point of being considered unhealthy.
Nowadays obesity in children children. A few decades ago childhood obesity cases were rare especially in developing countries like Kenya, but recently these cases have risen. Developed countries like the United States of America were used to this problem of obesity in children. But it seems the disorder is creeping in third world states.
In Kenya the problem started to raise eyebrows in the last one decade just after health experts noticed that majority of children below the age of 10 years were experiencing overweight problems. Since then, the public has been educated on the adverse health effects of obesity such as;
- Heart diseases. Obesity is one of the major culprits of heart ailments like stroke and heart failure. Experts warn that excessive fats may block blood vessels leading to these deadly heart ailemts.
- Majority of people living with diabetes are obese while medical practitioners point fingers at obesity as one of the causes of diabetes.
- Apart from these adverse health effects, social problems may also arise due to the condition. Examples include;
- Low self-esteem and stress. Obese children are more likely to be teased with their counterparts at school or any other social place therefore leading to low self-esteem and stress. This problem affect their ego and general intellectual development.
- Body image problems. As we all know image is everything. Obese children are more likely to face awkward image problems regarding the treatment they get from family members, classmates or even teachers.